Mechanical engineering is one of the broad based and oldest branches of engineering encompassing areas of materials, machines, energy, fluid, design and manufacturing. Mechanical engineers design machines and mechanical systems, engines, motor vehicles, aircrafts, satellites, power plants, building energy systems, manufacturing systems, robots, control systems, medical equipment, and consumer products.
Scope of Mechanical Engineering
Private sector establishments like manufacturing companies including Reliance Industries, Hindustan Unilever, Hindalco Industries, TATA Steel, L&T, etc., automobile industry including Tata Motors, Maruti Suzuki, Bajaj Auto, Hero Moto Corp, power plants, software giants and the prestigious Indian Armed Forces recruit mechanical engineers.
Besides, the branch also holds promising future potential for pursuing higher studies and research work in the fields like Design, Manufacturing, Production, Thermal, Energy, Aerospace, Mechatronics, Biomechatronics, Robotics, MEMS, etc.
Jobs at Core companies for Mechnical Engineers
1. Mechanical engineers are employed in top Govt. industries like
2. Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited
3. Coal India Limited
4. Indian Oil Corporation Limited
5. NTPC Limited
To be recognized as a center of excellence in education, training, research and innovation to produce successful entrepreneurs and engineers to meet current and future global challenges.
The Mechanical Engineering Department strives:-
M-I To Provide state of art infrastructure to impart quality education to make students globally competitive to pursue higher studies.
M-II To provide environment for enhancing the capabilities of students to build their career in industry, academia and government organization.
M-III To create awareness about ethical guidelines to motivate for lifelong learning and enhance leadership quality to serve the society.
Mechanical Engineering at SSIPMT
The department has state of the art laboratories and infrastructure providing a suitable environment for becoming a successful engineer. Department is consistent in giving excellent university results. Salient features of the department are;
- Excellent results
- Maximum teachers are GATE rankers/ qualified
- 15 students qualified GATE-2014
- Training on modern softwares such as Pro-e, solid works
- Placements in companies like TCS, TechMahindra, SSC, Hira Group, ACC Cement etc.
- Professional certification courses are offered
- Routine workshops on automation and robotics
- Live demonstration and training on topics like refrigeration, air-conditioning, internal combustion engines etc.
PROGRAMME EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES (PEOs)
- To prepare graduates with a concrete foundation in engineering, Science and Technology for a successful career in Mechanical Engineering.
- To prepare the students to take-up career in different industries or to pursue higher studies in mechanical and interdisciplinary programs.
- To equip graduates with social, moral and ethical values so that they have the ability to work and communicate effectively as a team member or leader
PROGRAMME OUTCOMES (POs)
- Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, Engineering fundamentals, and a Mechanical engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, research literature, and analyse complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Conduct investigations of complex problems: use research base knowledge and research method including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modelling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal, and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
Program specific outcome
PSO-1: Graduates will be able to analyze and design mechanical equipments and processes using modern software tools.
PSO-2: Graduates will be able to implement their ability in various industries in the sphere of operation, maintenance and projects.
- Engineering knowledge
- Problem analysis
- Design & Development of Solutions
- Investigation of Complex Problem
- Modern tool usage
- Engineer and society
- Environment & sustainability
- Individual & team work
- Lifelong learning
- Project management & finance